Pages

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Macaron Fail!

My husband returned from Mexico last night, walked into the kitchen and asked, "why did you all of a sudden decide to make macarons tonight?". I looked at him indignantly and said, "you don't just decide to make macarons all of a sudden. This is something I decided to do last Monday night when I took the eggs out of the refrigerator."

The advanced planning necessary for making macarons makes it all the more devastating when they don't turn out. Last Monday, after spending quite some time perusing the macaron tips on Kitchen Musings and Tartlette, I decided to give it another go. Nothing motivates me to action like discovering something I can't do well... so expect to see more failed macarons on this blog until I manage to get it right.

I followed the instructions for a basic macaron shell that Tartlette provides, added some vanilla bean, and incorporated some of the tips from Kitchen Musings. My eggs "aged" on the counter for 48 hours... my whites were whipped to a glossy meringue... the almonds and confectioners sugar were folded in until the batter had the consistency of "magma". The macaron shells piped out beautifully onto my silpat (I used parchment in the last macaron fail, so thought I would try something new this time) . I let them rest on the counter for about half an hour before popping them in the oven.

Just as last time, when pulled from the oven, my macaron shells were a picture of perfection - glossy shells with fluffy looking little feet.

However, within moments, they began to sink, resulting in cracked shells.

After giving them a few moments to cool, I tried to remove a few from the silpat for closer inspection. Instead of peeling off, the top skin of the macaron came off, leaving a gooey, messy filling stuck to the silpat. What a disaster... and I haven't a clue how to fix it. HELP!

Into the garbage they went.

I have decided to close this post with a successful batch of cupcakes that I made last Saturday just to make myself feel better, and to prevent this blog from being about my baking failures. Every once in a while I do have a baking success!

No comments:

Post a Comment